Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Shoe Solution


Any day that starts with a news article about people throwing shoes at a picture of Mayor Bloomberg is a good day. Pro-Palestinian protesters launched a barrage of Blahniks at the photo, drawing cheers from teachers across the city.

My question is, why can't we teachers do this ourselves? All these lame candlelight vigils have done nothing for us. Let's go for the shoe solution!!! The UFT should organize a huge Shoe-In, calling all teachers to hop down to City Hall, one shoe in hand, and begin firing our Ferragamos (or in my case, flinging my Frye boots) at a picture of the mayor. Think of it--80,000 shoes pelting a picture of Hizzoner and strewn across the steps of City Hall.

Some of the more radical of you are probably asking why we don't just hurl our shoes at the mayor himself, as the Iraqi reporter did to Bush. It's illegal, and would give Bloomy a reason punish us all on the spot. I hate the thought of 80,000 shoeless teachers crammed into the rubber rooms. Maybe Randi could chuck her Chanels at the mayor for us in a symbolic act of defiance.

Oh, well, I can dream, can't I?

No comments: